Friday, April 25, 2014

2014 Sweetwater Bakery, Day One- Tess



Monday 
Today was my first day. When I first got there, I put on my hat and pulled back my hair so it wouldn’t get in the food. Then, I washed my hands, pulled on an apron and got to work. Saul (the person in charge) had me begin by rolling the separated loaf-sized pieces of dough in sesame seeds and putting them in baskets where they would stay until they were put in the wood-fired brick oven. After I completed that task, I went over to a cookie station where people were scooping cookie dough that had chilled overnight and putting them on trays lined with parchment paper. Once one tray was completed, it was moved into the back where the oven for cookies was located. They were loaded into the oven as they were completed and rotated out. I can’t pretend to be able to count all of the cookies we made today-- it was a lot. Once the cookies were all done, we got out the bags and put on plastic gloves for sanitary reasons. One person stood at the end of a table with a scale quickly weighing the cookies and the rest of us bagged the cookies after they had been weighed so we knew that every bag weighed about the same even though they didn’t all have the same number of cookies. We then used a chart to determine where all the cookies were being sent and put them into separate boxes. That was all we did today.




No comments:

Post a Comment