Thursday, April 17, 2014

2014 Janell Wysock Fabrics, Day One- Simon



Day One
I decided to do my practicum in the clothing sector because I am interested in stuff like this and I just wanted to see how cloths are made. I did my practicum or internship  at Janell Wysock's studio. She produces knitwear and different weaved things.

On my first day I arrived there at 10 am. She gave me a tour around the building. The studio is in an old railway building which is now full of artists who have their studio there. Than she showed all the different weaving looms and knitting machines to me. I saw some of her work as well. I started with making a scarf. At the beginning, you have several strips of cloths approximately 4 feet long. Then, you put a heavy weight in the middle of the strips so you have 2 ft long stripes on both sides. Under the strips there's a ruler with a mark every fourth inch. If you imagine that you have 6 stripes, you connect the first stripe with the second one by making a dimple nod which has to be on the first mark. The third one has to be connected with the fourth one and the fifth with the sixth. Than you connect the second and the third one with a nod placed on the next mark on the ruler. The fourth and the fifth have to be connected, too. If you repeat this pattern, you will get a pattern like a fence. Now you have to make the same with the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment