Thursday, April 17, 2014

2014 Janell Wysock Fabrics, Day Four- Simon



Day four
Today, we first did a little bit of organization stuff. To remember her different types of cloths she makes cards with a sketch and a name. At the border she punch little holes in it and affixes threads to remember the color variations which she already did and which she still wants to do. I spent about two or three hours with tying these threads onto the cards. After the break, which takes about half an  hour, I retied the strings on the smaller weaving loom to start another weaving. This time I took another weft ( the thread which is weaved in the tight strings) which was more stretchy and a little bit thicker. I wove about 20 inches until I stopped and we went upstairs to finish the scarves. I cut the weaving in half because it was long enough to make two scarves. Then, we figured out how to fix the ends. First, we sewed several times along the two ends of both scarves to fix them. Then, we ironed it and I folded the four ends each two times and fixed them with the sewing machine. After this process, we decided to make an infinity scarf out of it which means that we sewed the ends of the scarf together and I continued weaving at the loom.
Conclusion
After this interesting practicum I know a lot more things about weaving. That's a great thing because I am going to weave on similar weaving looms in Germany in the 11th grade.

Before I did this internship, I thought weaved things always looked really old and boring but now, when I finished this scarf, I know that weaved thinks can look cool if the design is good. 

At the end of the last day, Janell gave me one of the two scarfs and that is really great for me. I have never thought that I would wear something which I made myself, until now.

No comments:

Post a Comment