Wednesday, April 9, 2014

2014 Bridge Street Chocolates- Ruth



My first day at Bridge Street Chocolates was actually two weeks ago.....I've spread the days out over the whole break. 

I got there at about 12:30, put on my apron, washed my hands and got to work.  Gail Warner, the owner, and I spent the day tempering chocolate, which is the process of heating the chocolate up.The temperature for the melting is about 108 degrees. We put in the right amount of chocolate (which depends on how much we want to make that day), melt it, then, once it is melted the machine beeps and we add the seed (18% of the original weight). We then press temper which will bring the heat down to 88 degrees. After it has tempered, we test it by putting some chocolate into a tile mold, sticking it in the fridge for about 5-10 minutes, and taking it out. If it pops out when slammed on the table and it doesn't melt to fast in your mouth, it's ready! Then, using that chocolate, we made caramel hazelnut bark.

Chocolate Bark Without Caramel
Bark With Caramel













Gail is the nicest person in the world and a wonderful teacher, she spends time with me really making sure I understand what I am doing. Through out the day, lots of customers came to Bridge Street Chocolate Shop and I got to see how Gail interacts with each one of them. I learned that customer service is just as important as making great chocolate! 

No comments:

Post a Comment