Wednesday, April 10, 2013

2013 Yellow Springs Farm Day Three -Nick



Today I was in the cheese room for the whole morning. I started by washing dishes. The dishes included things such as cheese cloths and cheese molds. We put vegetable rennet (natural enzyme)into the heated milk. After about 45 minutes the milk began to separate into solids and whey. We cut the solids in the vat to help release more liquids. After we cut the solids we raised the temperature to 100 degrees, and stirred it every ten minutes for an hour. After the hour was up, we drained the whey and put the cheese solids (curd) into molds.

After lunch I spent the afternoon feeding the baby goats, mucking out the stalls, bedding the stalls and cleaning up the pasture.I also helped shave the udders of some of the does and then apply balm to them. I finished up the afternoon buy taking the babies inside and prepping for the storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment